Raw Almond Milk
If you are searching for a milk alternative without all the additives, it's going to be tough to find it on the grocery store shelves. While there are some brands that are healthier than others, the best option is to make your own almond milk from raw organic almonds. Due to several Salmonella outbreaks in the early 2000s, in 2007 the USDA began requiring all US grown almonds labeled "raw" to be steam-pasteurized or chemically treated with propylene oxide (PPO fumigation). Although steam pasteurization is the least harmful, it destroys the life force and the carcinogen acrylamide is a byproduct . PPO fumigation is even more toxic and proplylene oxide is now banned by the American Motorcycle & National Hot Rod Associations, where is was formerly used in fuel.
I don't know about you but I don't want to ingest either of these cancer causing chemicals so I buy raw organic almonds from Italy and Spain where they don't heat the almonds. They cost more but my health is worth it.
Watch how to make raw organic almond milk in the video below. It's super easy and delicious!
1 cup raw organic almonds
1 1/2 cup filtered water
1 nut milk bag
1 16 -32 oz glass storage container with lid
- cover almonds with filtered water, cover and soak overnight
- drain and rinse soaked almonds
- add almonds and 1.5 c filtered water to food processor and blend until almonds are completely crushed up and the liquid is white and frothy (2-3 min)
- drain liquid through nut milk bag, squeezing all milk out of the nut mixture
- store almond milk in glass container with airtight lid for up to 4 days